Detour to Doha {Part 4}

Finally, Part 4 is here! I'm sad we're almost coming to the end of the Detour to Doha series. I never get bored of blogging about Qatar and I hope you guys aren't tired of me writing about my trip. If you are, that's too bad  because Part 5 will be coming up shortly he he! 

So you must be wondering what's shopping like in Doha. One word. Expensive. If a McDonald's burger costs 35 Riyal (RM 29) can you imagine how much a dress would cost? However, that didn't stop us from checking out one of Doha's famous malls, Villaggio. We didn't have time for shopping though, much to my mother's relief. 

You'll find high-end brands at Villaggio - from Bvlgari to Harry Winston. 
There are also gondola rides to invoke an Italian feel to your experience. 


After lunch at Villaggio we revisited Souq Waqif. The souq is the go-to place for antiques, souvenirs and handicrafts. There are also Arabic cafes and restaurants.


The souq looks very different during the day. It was nice to see all the colours pop out against the beige and brown walls.


Later that night I met up with Jody, one of my former classmates from New Zealand. She's one of the nicest if not the nicest classmate I ever had. Once when we were studying until late she accompanied me when I had to walk in the dark to get home. Ever since she left Dunedin we kept in touch via Facebook. I was so glad I got to meet her after 4 years! And the night we met was the night she found out that she was pregnant. Jody recently gave birth to a healthy baby girl, Mackenzie. 

Catch up with the rest of the series:

Comments

Anonymous said…
tired of this? Dudette, I don't know who you're talking about, but me likes this very much! keep on blogging about Doha. I rarely see people doing that. I'm not from Doha and I've never been there (I'A, one day), but I"m living through your posts/pics. Thanks!
Shahirah Elaiza said…
@Anon, thank you for making me feel better about my many posts about Doha. I really enjoyed my visit there. I was quite enchanted and it has inspired me to visit Morocco someday inshaAllah! =)
aishah amin said…
MasyaAllah it's such a beautiful place!! not to mention a beautiful you!! :) i hope I can go there one day with my soo-to-be husband insyaAllah! :D xx
Shahirah Elaiza said…
@aishah, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. In this case a very beautiful & charming beholder indeed ;) I hope you get to go too! And go to Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Turkey, etc. World tour!
The Black Jubah said…
I am always fascinated with the Middle East ever since I lived in Saudi Arabia for 3 years. Hope to visit other places too...amazing photography, just love it.
Anonymous said…
Assalamualaikum,kak Sha :) I have been one of your silent readers' recently so just to let you know, it's nice seeing people blogging about nice things on Doha! Cause frankly there isnt really much to it :p . and oh, i am curently living in Doha so yerr. hehe
Shahirah Elaiza said…
@The Black Jubah, thank you =) I'm sure living in KSA has been an interesting experience.

@Anon, Wa alaykummusalam, when you look at a place through the eyes of a traveller a lot of things become fascinating. But yes, Doha is very small and there's not much to do (compared to bigger Arab countries) especially if you live there.
Anonymous said…
salam..i wish i can go touring doha... i only do transits -.-

btw i like your dress.its pretty !
Maryam said…
beautiful pictures. That mall is breath-taking. Especially the rides on water.

I can't resist asking, but how much were the scarves/pashminas pictured in the souq?

Please don't tell me $1, or else I might go into cardiac arrest :/
Shahirah Elaiza said…
@queenofqalbs, Thanks! next time spend a day or two over there. Doha's reasonably small so you won't need much time to explore.

@Maryam, I didn't ask but I doubt they would be that cheap! I saved you some tears there ;)
Huda said…
As much as I love the Middle East and especially UAES glamorus buildings and modern malls and luxurious hotels, I feel like its to muchhhh dunya (worldy material) there. I always dream of visiting Dubaia, but as I think deeply about the luxury I think of how its high rise buildings and fashionistas are just an immatitation of New York City (so ugly lol)
Anonymous said…
Assalamalaikum sister, i have been to qatar in May 2010 and it was an amazing experience.Going through your blog posts brought some good memories back
I can totally relate to the pictures, Villagio is mindblowing, and i actually posed with the Achieve,Realize near the Corniche. I didnt visit the Souq though :(. All in all, it was a great experience Alhamdulillah
Anonymous said…
Love reading ur blog, the pictures were exquisite..but this time i love ur dress, would u mind sharing where to get one ? tq